When is the best time to start tutoring, and how should I plan the testing calendar?
Spring of Sophomore Year
Sophomore year is an ideal time to complete the grammar review that’s necessary for both the SAT and ACT and a strengthening of the Algebra 1, Geometry, and Common Core Math 1 & 2 material. If your child needs remediation in any test subjects, the spring of sophomore year can be a great time to work on the fundamentals. When the SAT was redesigned, the “new” SAT became more about content knowledge and less about strategy application. We often need to take a few steps back with our students before we can move forward with test-taking techniques.
Recommendations for Grade 10:
- Complete the grammar review for the SAT Writing/ACT English sections
- review and strengthen core Algebra knowledge
- Take an SAT and ACT diagnostic to produce more current baseline scores
- determine if the preparation will focus on SAT or ACT
- Set up tutoring for the summer
Summer before Junior Year
The summer before junior year is an ideal time to start test prep and often provides the most scheduling flexibility. The summer affords students time to concentrate on the extra work that test prep demands before the rigors of junior year begin. Students can work more intensively, meeting twice per week, to accelerate coverage of the material. If a student is improving quickly, he or she could consider taking the August SAT, September ACT, October SAT, or October ACT. This plan is best for students who will be dealing with the busyness of a fall sport, need additional tutoring hours due to a learning difference, text anxiety, or just want a head start to minimize pressure.
The beginning of a student’s junior year is also an ideal time to start. We are busy with our seniors until mid-September, so openings can be limited until then. Contact us mid-Summer to reserve a slot for Fall.
- If a student starts in the early fall, he or she should consider taking the Dec SAT, Dec ACT, and/or February ACT.
- If a student starts early winter, he or she should consider taking the Feb ACT, Feb Wake County ACT, March SAT, or April ACT.
- Starting the preparation in January is often too late for the Feb ACT and March SAT.
- In general, plan for 3-4 months (12-16 weeks) of tutoring before the first attempt.
When is the best time of year to reserve a time slot?
There are three periods when we have the most openings:
- Beginning of Summer Season in mid-June (register by April)
- Early September (register by July)
- October – January (register throughout the fall)
Openings are limited during our two peak seasons (July-early Sept and January-April).
What is the Cancellation Policy?
- Cancellations must be received by 6 pm the night before the session.
- Contact your tutor directly by phone or email to cancel or reschedule. A staff directory can be found in the Welcome Letter.
- $30 cancellation fee will be charged for late cancellations.
What do I need to do if I would like to discontinue?
To discontinue the tutoring for any reason, we require 2-weeks’ notice. If a family does not provide the required 2-weeks’ notice, all scheduled sessions in the following 2-week period will be charged to the credit card on file.
What is required for the first session?
- Score reports: log into your child’s SAT, ACT, or SSAT account, and click on “Print” or “Save” to open the report as a PDF. Email or mail the reports to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a copy to the first session if you have not already done so.
- Payment if paying-as-go or pre-paying
- One of the following prep books is required. Purchase the book only for the test your child is preparing for. Your child will be provided with the company’s strategy guides.
- SAT: The Official SAT Study Guide by the College Board
- ACT: The Official ACT Prep Guide
- SSAT: Official Guide to the Upper Level (applying to high school) or Middle Level (applying to middle school)
What if I need to reschedule?
We work hard to schedule students into a time slot that will work each week for the sake of consistency. While we cannot guarantee that there will be an alternative time slot open if your child needs to reschedule, you can contact one of our Directors or your tutor to see if there is a slot open for rescheduling a session — just remember the 6 pm cancellation deadline! We typically need to wait until 1-2 weeks before the session to reschedule a session as it is dependent on cancellations.
Will I get a lesson reminder?
Parents and students will receive an email 30-24 hours before the next lesson, reminding you of the lesson time, tutor, and location. Automated reminders are sent to the email addresses you included in the registration.
How will I be updated about my child’s progress?
Lesson summaries are sent every 1-2 weeks to the email you provided in the registration. Include your child’s email address in his account so your child can also receive emailed lesson summaries and HW reminders. If you have questions about your child’s progress, contact a Director or your child’s tutor directly.
What can I use my online account for?
Parents and students can use their online accounts to view the calendar to see upcoming lessons or request sessions. You can also view lesson summaries and tutor contact information. Once your registration has been processed, you will receive an email to confirm your account and set your password. You can log into your account here:
What are your other recommendations or policies?
- Parents or students are responsible for registering for tests and being aware of registration deadlines.
- Registration information can be found at www.collegeboard.org, www.act.org, and SSAT.org.
- For SAT, sign up for the Question and Answer Service when available.
- For ACT, sign up for the Test Information Release when available.
What are your Rates and Payment Options?
We provide tutoring services at a range of rates to provide families with options to fit every budget. There are multiple levels: Staff, Lead Staff, Specialist, Program Director, and Executive Director.
Staff: $50/hr; Lead Staff: $60/hr; Specialist: $70/hr, Program Director: $70/hr, and Executive Director (Heather Forgione): $80/hr.
Rates for off-site tutoring are +$5/hr more.
You can find more information about our tutors here: http://www.forgionetutoring.com/blog/about-our-tutors/
- Checks are payable to Forgione Tutoring and can be turned into the tutor.
- All credit card charges will include a 3% convenience fee.
1.) Pay-as-go by check or cash due at the time of the session.
2.) Pre-paid for upcoming month by check or CC.
2.) House Account: at the beginning of each month, last month’s lessons will be charged to the credit card on file, plus a 3% convenience fee.
3.) Credit Card payment: invoices can be paid online by credit card.
Overdue Invoices: If an invoice is not paid by the due date, the credit card recorded in your account will be charged the full balance, plus a 3% convenience fee.
Tutors: Click here for Tutor Login