Current Newsletter: February 2020 Newsletter
Forms: Photo Consent form
When is the best time to start SAT or ACT prep?
Spring of Sophomore Year
Sophomore year is an ideal time to complete the grammar review for both the SAT and ACT and a strengthening of Algebra 1, Geometry, and Common Core Math 1 & 2 material. If your child needs remediation in any test subjects, the spring of sophomore year is a great time to work on the fundamentals. When the SAT was redesigned, the “new” SAT became more about content knowledge and less about strategy application. We often need to take a few steps back with students before we can move forward with test-taking techniques.
Recommendations for Grade 10:
- Complete the grammar review for the SAT Writing/ACT English
- review and strengthen core Algebra knowledge
- Take an SAT and ACT diagnostic to produce more current baseline scores
- determine if the preparation will focus on SAT or ACT
- Set up tutoring for the summer
Summer before Junior Year
The summer before junior year is an ideal time to start and often provides the most scheduling flexibility. The summer affords students time to concentrate on the extra work that test prep demands. Students can work more intensively, meeting twice per week, to accelerate coverage of the material. If a student is improving quickly, he or she could consider taking the August SAT, September ACT, October SAT, or October ACT. This plan is best for students who will be dealing with the busyness of a fall sport, need additional tutoring hours due to a learning difference, text anxiety, or just want a head start to minimize pressure.
The beginning of a student’s junior year is also a great time to start. We are busy with our seniors until late August or mid-September, so openings can be limited until then. Contact us mid-Summer to reserve a slot for Fall.
- If a student starts in the early fall, he or she should consider taking the Dec SAT, Dec ACT, and/or February ACT.
- If a student starts early winter, he or she should consider taking the Feb ACT, Feb Wake County ACT, March SAT, or April ACT.
- Starting the preparation in January is often too late for the Feb ACT and March SAT.
- In general, plan for 3-4 months (12-16 weeks) of tutoring before the first attempt.
When is the best time to reserve a time slot?
There are three periods when we have the most openings:
- Register by April or May to for our summer season that starts mid-June (We cannot start with new students in August. If your child would like to start late summer, we will put him or her on the list to schedule as soon as slots open late August and early September.)
- Register by July to start early September
- Register throughout the fall to start in October – January
Openings are limited during our two peak seasons (July-August and January-April).
How much tutoring is necessary to raise ACT Scores?
See our handy explanation and table here: ACT Prep
Do you offer only private tutoring or also group classes?
- Heather is currently offering (Jan-March) a semi-private SAT Math class on Thursdays from 6-7:30 in the Merton Dr. Raleigh location. There is still a seat available.
- We offer College Application Essay workshops in the summer; dates to be announced late February. Find more information here: Tutoring Services
- All private sessions are 1-on-1 to provide the targeted instruction that each student needs.
- To arrange semi-private sessions (2-on-1 or 3-on-1), families can coordinate with us if they have students who want to work together. This works best when students have similar needs, goals, and schedules.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
- Cancellations must be received by 6 pm the night before the session to avoid a late fee.
- Contact your tutor or a director by phone or email to cancel or reschedule. A staff directory can be found in the Welcome Letter.
- $30 cancellation fee will be charged for late cancellations.
What if we would like to discontinue?
To discontinue, we require 2-weeks’ notice. If a family does not provide the required 2-weeks’ notice, all scheduled sessions in the following 2-week period will be charged to the credit card on file.
What is your attendance policy?
To maintain consistency and to ensure growth for all our students, we reserve the right to release your child from his or her time slot if his/her attendance falls below 50% for a particular time slot in any 4-week period. It is the parents’ and student’s responsibility to stay aware of your attendance rate and to be conscientious about attending scheduled sessions. We are happy to coordinate an alternative time slot that works better for your child’s schedule, but this might involve a tutor transition.
What is required for the first session?
- Score reports: log into your child’s SAT, ACT, or SSAT account, and click on “Print” or “Save” to open the report as a PDF. Email or mail the reports to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a copy to the first session if you have not already done so.
- Payment if paying-as-go or pre-paying
- One of the following prep books is required. Purchase the book only for the test your child is preparing for. Your child will be provided with the company’s strategy guides.
- SAT: The Official SAT Study Guide by the College Board
- ACT: The Official ACT Prep Guide
- SSAT: Official Guide to the Upper Level (applying to high school) or Middle Level (applying to middle school)
What if I need to reschedule?
While we cannot guarantee that there will be an alternative time slot open if your child needs to reschedule, you can contact one of our Directors or your tutor to see if there is a slot open — remember the 6 pm cancellation deadline! We typically wait until 1-2 weeks before the requested session to reschedule a session as it is dependent on cancellations.
Will I get a lesson reminder?
Parents and students will receive an automated email 30-24 hours before each lesson, reminding you of the lesson time, tutor, and location.
How will I be updated about my child’s progress?
Lesson summaries are emailed every 1-2 weeks. Include your child’s email address in the registration so your child can also receive the summaries and HW reminders.
What can I use my online account for?
Parents and students can use their accounts to view the calendar to see upcoming lessons, request sessions, view lesson summaries, and find tutor contact information. Once your registration has been processed, you will receive an email to confirm your account and set your password.
How do I register for official tests and what services do I sign up for?
Parents or students are responsible for registering for official tests, being aware of registration deadlines, and for knowing the testing requirements at the colleges to which the student is applying. Registration information can be found at www.collegeboard.org, www.act.org, and SSAT.org.
- For SAT, sign up for the Question and Answer Service when available.
- For ACT, sign up for the Test Information Release when available.
What are your Rates and Payment Options?
We provide tutoring services at a range of rates to fit every budget. There are multiple staff levels: Staff, Lead Staff, Specialist, Program Director, and Executive Director.
Staff: $50/hr; Lead Staff: $60/hr; Specialist: $70/hr, Program Director: $70/hr, and Executive Director (Heather Forgione): $90/hr. (Rates for off-site tutoring are +$5/hr more.)
You can find more information about our tutors here: https://www.forgionetutoring.com/blog/about-our-tutors/
- Checks are payable to Forgione Tutoring and can be turned into the tutor or mailed to the Merton Dr. office.
- All credit card charges will include a 3% convenience fee.
1.) Pay-as-go by check or cash due at the time of the session.
2.) Pre-paid for upcoming month by check or CC.
2.) House Account: at the beginning of each month, last month’s lessons will be charged to the credit card on file, plus a 3% convenience fee.
3.) Credit Card payment: invoices can be paid online by credit card.
Overdue Invoices: If an invoice is not paid by the due date, the credit card recorded in your account will be charged the full balance, plus a 3% convenience fee.
Tutors: Click here for Tutor Login